Wednesday, June 28, 2006

A 3.5 -hours drive or so away from Melbourne's bustling shopping precincts and smart tall buildings-- Welcome to the ultimate escapade to South Gippsland. (19th - 22nd June 2006)

With our moods set right, the road trip began around 9am. Damien and Yee were the drivers (we got 2 cars) and me, the navigator. A click from the safety belt and we were on our way.

We slided out of the city and the long freeway brought us to the beach at Kilcunda. The first word that came out from our mouths were "wow". Totally speechless. The white waves pop up and down in the blue sea and landed with a loud crash as they reach the shore, together with the crisp winter air, these made our legs rooted to the ground until we started shivering.

So we drove on until we reached 77th Heaven. The beach house holds a beautiful interior design. Though it looks a little old, this house manages to give us the warmth that we needed in those cold and windy nights. The first thing that we did when we got in was to run around, trying to touch every corner of it. Impressive! I couldn't help smiling when I saw the fire-place. It was all REAL. Even better than the pictures! Seriously, things can't get any better than that...

I guess, one of the best thing being a girl is to get privileges especially in a house full of boys. So, Yee and I got the best of the best rooms - located on the upper floor. A super duper King size bed overlooking the pasture. HEAVEN!

The first morning was unusual. Instead ofwokenup because of the noisy traffic, I got up because I heard the cows. Getting excited, I rushed up to the balcony and I cant believe what I saw! It was the most beautiful sun-rise I've ever seen! Incredible!

After a hearty breakfast, we started our journey to Wilsons Prom. For today, we had chose a 5.6 km walk to Tongue Point along the coastal. You're so wrong to think it's easy! Initially, it started well. After the bumpy flat route, scenic sidetracks and our meeting with a kangaroo, the environment changed. The track climbs uphill and descends steeply. I thought we were lucky to have a downward track as it was much easier than going upwards!

So, after another hour of tracking, we reached the tip of Tongue Point! Totally amazing. The crystal blue sea crashing into the tumbled stacks and boulders of weathered granite, what more can I described! Took a look on our left and we could see where we started from, it was all worth it! I was emotionally overwhelmed. However, time did not allow us to stay any longer. We had to head back before it got dark(which is ard 4.20pm). As I continued my lead, the route we took previously flashed in my mind. I took out the map and tried to look for another way out but in avail. SHIT. Remember the steep downhill? YES, now we have to go upwards. When I reached the foot of it, the tracks looked so like wall, a long slim piece of wall.

Half-way up the wall, I felt myself getting really sick. My head began to spin and my breathing was worst than an old dog. But, MIND OVER BODY. I took a look behind me and saw Johnny and Nathan walking normally. Plus Damien and Yee's constant encouragement, I managed to survive the whole track! I've never felt so rewarding. THUMBS UP BUDDIES!

Our jelly legs did not stop us from having fun! As we ran out of fire-woods, the rest went down to chop while I washed the dishes. I heard it was hilarious to see them chopping.. hmmm. Anyways, the fire-place acted as our garbage bin since the 1st night. We threw insects and paper plates and left over food (prawns' shells, garlic skin, lemon and lime, bones, fats from bacon, overcooked patties, egg shells.. etc). So much so that we even thought of dragging back a dead animal, found on the road, just to burn it, or rather giving it "a proper burial". I do care for the environment, but, chances of getting in touch with a fire-place -- zero. Come on peeps! It's the joy of burning!! :)

It was a lazy gloomy second day. We decided to visit the Tidal River and Squeaky Beach. It's called the Squeaky Beach cos it really squeaks! Due to the rounded grains of quartz on it, it makes a "squeak" when rubbed together, quite like those squeaky baby shoes. Fasinating isnt it?! The serene river is a highlight as well. It meanders gently through the wetland making the whole scene picture perfect.

We can't have enough of wombats! Though it was the same wombat we passed by each day, we never fail to stop by just to say hi. They're the loveliest creature that I wanna bash up. They're so cute and cuddly!!!! Over the 4 days, we were spotting nothing but the wombats. The other animals were just not as fasinating as them! And I mean it.. see for yourself.

And so, these are more or less my 4 days to Wilsons Prom. After the trip, I couldn't decide weather to run home and tell everyone or to guard this secret new found treasure. The place is just perfect for people who wants adventure and maximum relaxation together.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2104920506&code=22854530&mode=invite&DCMP=isc-email-AlbumInvite

Support a living planet - Join WWF
Information at this site:
- is not professional, scientific, medical, technical or expert advice
- is not guaranteed for accuracy, completeness, honesty and factuality
- should never be relied on as the basis for doing or failing to do something
- is provided on the basis that all persons accessing the site undertake responsibility for accessing the relevance and accuracies of its content

Links and frames connecting this site with other sites are for convenience only and do not mean that the author endorses or approves those other sites, their content or the people who run them.

Comments on this website are the sole responsibility of their writers and the writer will take full responsibility, liability, and blame for any libel or litigation that results from something written in or as a direct result of something written in a comment.